When it comes to office chairs with a high weight capacity, you want to look not only at the weight capacity, which determines how much the chair can actually hold, but other comfort features that make the chair a good fit for a larger person. InStockChairs offers a wide range of office chair options for heavy people. Here's a look at some features to consider:
- Weight capacity. Office chairs designed for 300-pound, 400-pound and even 500-pound people are designed not only to hold these weights, but to retain their shape and functionality over time when these types of people sit in them. Typically, these chairs will include a heavy-duty steel frame and will have features that help more evenly distribute weight. Our highest-weight-capacity chairs, like our 500-Pound Capacity Big and Tall Desk Chair and our 500-Pound Capacity 24/7-Rated Armless Desk Chair, have steel bases to ensure durability for the long run. Our 350-Pound Capacity Leather Big and Tall Chair features a durable titanium base.
- Seat width and depth. It's not just weight support that a larger person needs, but more space. Look for seats that have larger widths and depths, and even adjustable depths, like our 350-Pound Capacity Premium Elastic Mesh Office Chair and our 24/7 400-Pound Capacity Office Chair With Sliding Seat Depth. For width, look for a measurement larger than 20 inches. For depth, you want the person to be able to sit comfortably with two to four inches between the back of the knees and the seat of the chair, in order to provide enough support. Generally, look for a depth that is larger than 21 inches.
- Seat and back support. Look at the material of the chair and make sure it provides enough support in the seat and backrest so that the user doesn't sink down too much. Our 500-Pound Capacity High-Back Big and Tall Chair, for example, features resilient foam padding in the seat, backrest and arms.
- Lumbar support. Lumbar support is often important for larger people, as they tend to endure back pain. Look for chairs like our 400-Pound Capacity Mesh and Leather Chair, which offers adjustable lumbar support.
- Adjustable backrests. Larger people will need to change positions often in order to stay comfortable and avoid cramping, so opt for chairs that offer the ability to adjust the back, like our 350-Pound Capacity ErgoFlex Mesh Office Chair, which allows the backrest to recline at a two-to-one ratio with the angle of the seat. It also has a tilt tension adjustment that adjusts to the weight of the user.
- Headrests. Headrests are a nice option for larger people who might fill out the chair more and need to lean back. Check out our 400-Pound Capacity Heavy-Duty Black Mesh Chair With Headrest or our 350-Pound Capacity ErgoFlex Office Chair With Headrest.
- Height adjustment. Height adjustment is important for larger people, as they will need to make sure they're sitting in a comfortable position at a desk or conference table, so they're not straining their shoulders. This is available in most models, but check out our 350-Pound Capacity ErgoFlex Mesh Office Stool if you need a stool-height chair with pneumatic adjustment, or our 400-Pound Capacity Leather and Mesh Heavy-Duty Desk Chair if you're looking for desk-height pneumatic adjustment combined with options like adjustable armrests.